Photos

Monday, September 20, 2010

JUNGLE JAUNT


                                                                                                                         Solomon Islands
                                                                                                                          September 2010


Hello All!
Jungle day on Guadacanal! We spend Sunday hiking up to Matanikau Falls. We start our trek in Lelei Village. Life here is a minimal existence. Homes are built up on stilts due to flooding. Some are simple wood frames with corrugated metal siding. Doors and windows not included. There is no running water, electricity, or plumbing. Children are splashing and playing in the river as their moms
 wash clothes. The "car wash" is in full swing. Cars are backed into the river and scrubbed with their hands. At the village we must pay the chief a fee to cross over his land. He is happy to see us. We are his only source of cash income. We continue our hike which is now a steep hillside. It is hot and humid morning. Only 9am and the air hangs on you like a hot steamy towel.
The ridge of the mountain has numerous foxholes left over from the war. Nathzi our local guide is our ' history' teacher. He has the build of a rugby player and dreadlocks like Bob Marley. His English is excellent. He also speaks two island dialects and the local Pidgyn English. Nathsi tells us he was kicked out of high school for chewing Betel nut. Today he chews 4 times a day. Not sure if this is good or bad?? I did notice his teeth were not orange. (Maybe he uses a toothbrush??) He is well informed on the war. He tells us about the battle of One Thousand Horses. A brutal defeat for the Japanese who hiked through dense jungle below US troops who shot from fox holes along the ridge. We climbed higher and enjoyed a panoramic view of the sound and islands beyond.

 We trekked farther inland and entered the prolific rain forest. It had rained a lot the previous week and the path was sloppy. I went barefoot since my shoes were so caked with mud there was no traction. At one point we stood atop a cliff. As we looked below all we could see was a thick tangle of jungle. Nathzi motioned us over and we could see a crude path straight down the side. As dutiful soldiers we followed him down. About 10 steps into our descent it becomes obvious this is no longer a hike. We are actually slipping down a mud chute. The mud is like deep layers of thick chocolate frosting, oozing between the toes. No way to get a good purchase with your foot. Nathzi shows us a 'Tarzan' type vine that runs along the path.
 Dave and Lynn have already slid out of sight to who knows where! I grab hold as I struggle to back my way down stretching my leg as long as I can. Several times my foot slips through the mud and I drop straight down dangling from the vine! (Believe me 'Jane' never did this!) After a few more mishaps my fingers are caked with mud. On the next precarious step my heel shoots out from under me and I slide down the hill with the vine racing through my mud greased hands. I stop about 10 ft. later. Now it is time for drastic action! I turn and put my seat in the mud. I I grab the vine. and slide down the chute like a wild child. Screaming out the 'Tarzan' call (Watching for branches, bumps and lumps.) Not very graceful but it did the job. We are caked with mud and exhausted. Our shoulder sockets sore from hanging on for dear life. There are some scratches, cuts and bruises. ( I would bet money the camera crew for ' Survival' are filming. )

At last we arrived a Matanikau Waterfalls. It is a refreshing and calming sight. We walk into the cool crisp pool below and literally wash the mud off our clothes. Lynn and I decided to climb up the waterfall and jump back into the water below. Heaven! After a rest and more swimming we felt ready to go! Now that we had survived the hike-.it was time to swim the out of the jungle on the river. That is another story!
We hope everyone is well. Hard to believe it is September! Take Care.......


                                              Capt Molly and Soul MatePeter